Parents as Tender Healers (PATH)
Note: The PATH program was not responsive to the CEBC's inquiry. The following information was obtained from publicly available sources.
Parents as Tender Healers (PATH) has been reviewed by the CEBC in the following Topic Areas:
About This Program
Target Population: Not Specified
PATH is a ten-week curriculum developed to train prospective foster parents. Sessions are intended to help parents decide whether fostering or adoption is appropriate for them. Sessions address:
- How resource families differ from birth families
- How and why children in the welfare system develop survival behaviors
- The different roles of birth, legal, and caregiving parents
- Characteristics of successful resource families
- The types of abuse and neglect experienced within the child welfare system, survival behaviors developed, and the emotional issues underlying these behaviors
- The impact of separation and trauma on children, and the importance of emotional attachment
- Understanding issues faced by children in transition, and identifying existing and future family strengths and support
- Tools and techniques to help children develop attachment
- Disciplinary techniques for children who have experienced trauma
The final session consists of a panel discussion with experienced Resource parents and children.
Education and Training Resources
Publicly available information indicates there is
a manual that describes how to implement this program, and there is some training available for this program.
See contact info below.
Relevant Published, Peer-Reviewed Research
This program has been reviewed and it was determined that this program lacks the type of published, peer-reviewed research that meets the CEBC criteria for a scientific rating of 1 – 5. Therefore, the program has been given the classification of "NR - Not able to be Rated." It was reviewed because it was identified by the topic expert as a program being used in the field, or it is being marketed and/or used in California with children receiving services from child welfare or related systems and their parents/caregivers. Some programs that are not rated may have published, peer-reviewed research that does not meet the above stated criteria or may have eligible studies that have not yet been published in the peer-reviewed literature. For more information on the "NR - Not able to be Rated" classification, please see the Scientific Rating Scale.
Currently, there are no published, peer-reviewed research studies for Parents as Tender Healers (PATH).
No reference materials are currently available for Parents as Tender Healers (PATH).
- Agency/Affiliation: Spaulding for Children
- Website: spaulding.org/the-spaulding-institute/training-curricula/parents-as-tender-healers-path-curriculum-training
- Phone: (248) 443-7080
Date Research Evidence Last Reviewed by CEBC: May 2018
Date Program Content Last Reviewed by Program Staff: July 2007
Date Program Originally Loaded onto CEBC: July 2007