Pathways Fourth Edition
The information in this program outline is provided by the program representative and edited by the CEBC staff. This program has been reviewed by the CEBC in the following Topic Areas:
About This Program
Target Population: Adolescent males and females with sexual behavior problems, ages 12-18
For children/adolescents ages: 12 – 18
For parents/caregivers of children ages: 12 – 18
Pathways Fourth Edition is a structured, guided workbook for use with adolescent males and females with sexual behavior problems, including but not limited to sexual offending. Pathways Fourth Edition focuses extensively on helping clients develop healthy and responsible patterns of thinking and behavior, and also provides concrete guidance about how to control sexual feelings in healthy and responsible ways, including guidelines for successful friendships and dating relationships. Relapse prevention techniques are reinforced, as is a new focus on helping clients develop healthy and responsible lifestyles by creating a Healthy Living Project to follow. Pathways Fourth Edition includes new skill and knowledge-based exercises that aim to help clients identify feelings, manage anger, and become more sensitive to others. Pathways Fourth Edition also provides concrete tools for completing the victim clarification (apology) process and the family reunification process. This workbook is a treatment tool that hopefully leads the client towards a lifestyle of honesty, responsibility, sensitivity, and integrity.
The goals of Pathways Fourth Edition are:
- Reduction in sexually inappropriate or illegal behavior
- Increase in adaptive social behavior
- Increase in overall responsibility in daily life
- Increase in sensitivity to others
- Increase in honesty about sexual feelings and behavior
- Increase in self-esteem and improve social relationships
- Decrease in aggressive behavior
The essential components of Pathways Fourth Edition include:
- Psychoeducation about sexuality and legal and illegal sexual behavior
- Cognitive restructuring, and awareness of thinking errors (cognitive distortions)
- Group therapy with 8-12 adolescents to provide peer-support and guidance
- Support for disclosure of sexual feelings and behavior
- Victim awareness training
- Cognitive-behavioral training in understanding the connection between feelings, thoughts, and behavior, and understanding behavior chains
- Specific training in arousal reconditioning methods to gain mastery over sexual feelings, including covert sensitization, thought stopping, and other arousal control methods
- Education about responsible sexual relationships, and training in establishing healthy peer-age relationships
- Guidance in the victim clarification (apology) process, and training in family reunification skills
- Chapter-by-chapter testing to ensure acquisition of skills and knowledge
- Provision of a culminating project consisting of development of a Healthy Living Project that incorporates relapse prevention techniques, victim awareness, as well as components of the “Good Lives” model of rehabilitation
- Parent companion guide - see "Services Involve Family/Support Structures" section in "Child/Adolescent Services" below
Pathways Fourth Edition directly provides services to children/adolescents and addresses the following:
- Sexual behavior problems, including sexual offending, pornography addiction, sexual harassment, and any sexually motivated behavior problem.
Services Involve Family/Support Structures:
This program involves the family or other support systems in the individual's treatment: Many of the exercises in Pathways Fourth Edition require parental involvement, and a companion guide, Healthy Families, A Guide for Parents of Children and Adolescents with Sexual Behavior Problems is also available. The Healthy Families book provides supportive information for parents about the evaluation and treatment process for youth with sexual behavior problems, and also includes a parental involvement section so that parents can follow and participate in their child’s treatment process.
Pathways Fourth Edition directly provides services to parents/caregivers and addresses the following:
- Have an adolescent who is having problems managing their anger
1.5 hour weekly sessions
12 – 24 months, generally
This program is typically conducted in a(n):
- Outpatient Clinic
- Residential Care Facility
Pathways Fourth Edition includes a homework component:
Pathways Fourth Edition has regular homework assignments where clients are asked to practice key skills. A daily journaling requirement is also included.
Pathways Fourth Edition does not have materials available in a language other than English.
Resources Needed to Run Program
The typical resources for implementing the program are:
Any counseling office
Minimum Provider Qualifications
Usually a Master’s degree and specialized training in working with adolescents with sexual behavior problems
Education and Training Resources
There is a manual that describes how to implement this program, and there is training available for this program.
- Timothy Kahn, MSW
phone: (425) 462-9647
Training is obtained:
Onsite at request of the agency
Number of days/hours:
Variable, usually 1-2 days
Relevant Published, Peer-Reviewed Research
This program has been reviewed and it was determined that this program lacks the type of published, peer-reviewed research that meets the CEBC criteria for a scientific rating of 1 – 5. Therefore, the program has been given the classification of "NR - Not able to be Rated." It was reviewed because it was identified by the topic expert as a program being used in the field, or it is being marketed and/or used in California with children receiving services from child welfare or related systems and their parents/caregivers. Some programs that are not rated may have published, peer-reviewed research that does not meet the above stated criteria or may have eligible studies that have not yet been published in the peer-reviewed literature. For more information on the "NR - Not able to be Rated" classification, please see the Scientific Rating Scale.
Currently, there are no published, peer-reviewed research studies for Pathways Fourth Edition.
No reference materials are currently available for Pathways Fourth Edition.
- Timothy Kahn, MSW
- Agency/Affiliation: Timothy Kahn and Associates
- Website: www.safersociety.org/press/safer-society-press/new-titles-from-safer-society-press/pathways-fourth-edition
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (425) 462-9647
- Fax: (425) 462-9333
Date Research Evidence Last Reviewed by CEBC: June 2015
Date Program Content Last Reviewed by Program Staff: February 2018
Date Program Originally Loaded onto CEBC: June 2011