The Ties That Bind -- Training for Caregivers
Note: The Ties That Bind -- Training for Caregivers program was not responsive to the CEBC's inquiry. The following information was obtained from publicly available sources.
The Ties That Bind -- Training for Caregivers has been reviewed by the CEBC in the following Topic Areas:
About This Program
Target Population: Grandparents raising grandchildren whose parents struggle with substance abuse
The Children of Alcoholics Foundation has created The Ties That Bind which is a training curriculum for caregivers focusing on parental substance abuse and the impact it has on kinship families. The program utilizes lecture, small group discussion, and activities designed to be facilitated by a professional with a group of kinship caregivers in a support group setting or independently. The program is designed to:
- Teach participants basic information about alcohol and other drug addiction
- Promote discussion of substance abuse related issues with children
- Provide strategies to cope with the behavioral and emotional issues children in kinship care may present
- Help caregivers be supportive of parent/child relationships
- Encourage utilization of available support resources
- Promote improved relationships between caregivers and birthparents
The topics that are covered in this curriculum include:
- An overview of kinship care and parental substance abuse
- Introduction to alcohol, other drugs, and addiction
- Caregiver feelings
- Understanding and supporting the child
- Talking about substance abuse with children
- Caregiver relationships with birthparents
- Maintaining a safe home
- Supporting the parent-child relationship
- Accessing support
Education and Training Resources
Publicly available information indicates there is
a manual that describes how to implement this program, and there is some training available for this program.
See contact info below.
Relevant Published, Peer-Reviewed Research
This program has been reviewed and it was determined that this program lacks the type of published, peer-reviewed research that meets the CEBC criteria for a scientific rating of 1 – 5. Therefore, the program has been given the classification of "NR - Not able to be Rated." It was reviewed because it was identified by the topic expert as a program being used in the field, or it is being marketed and/or used in California with children receiving services from child welfare or related systems and their parents/caregivers. Some programs that are not rated may have published, peer-reviewed research that does not meet the above stated criteria or may have eligible studies that have not yet been published in the peer-reviewed literature. For more information on the "NR - Not able to be Rated" classification, please see the Scientific Rating Scale.
Currently, there are no published, peer-reviewed research studies for The Ties That Bind -- Training for Caregivers.
No reference materials are currently available for The Ties That Bind -- Training for Caregivers.
- Kim Sumner-Mayer
- Title: Kinship Care Outreach Manager
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (646) 505-2063
Date Research Evidence Last Reviewed by CEBC: March 2017
Date Program Content Last Reviewed by Program Staff: March 2017
Date Program Originally Loaded onto CEBC: March 2017