Together Facing the Challenge
About This Program
The information in this program outline is provided by the program representative and edited by the CEBC staff. Together Facing the Challenge has been rated by the CEBC in the area of: Resource Parent Recruitment and Training Programs.
Target Population: Treatment foster parents and agency staff
For parents/caregivers of children ages: 3 – 17
Together Facing the Challenge is a training/consultation approach to improving practice in treatment foster care (TFC). The intervention was built from a naturalistic study of “usual care” TFC to determine what practice components were related to improved outcomes for youth. It also incorporates elements from existing evidence-based treatments to fill identified gaps in usual care practice. The resulting model includes training/consultation for TFC supervisors as well as training for treatment foster parents. Together Facing the Challenge is designed as a train-the-trainer approach, so that TFC administrative/supervisory personnel can learn the training and model and train treatment foster parents.
This program will provide training on practical parenting and supervisory skills and techniques.
The goals of Together Facing the Challenge are:
- At the end, both therapeutic foster parents and supervisors alike will:
- Build therapeutic relationships
- Perform and teach cooperation skills
- Implement effective parenting techniques (communicate effectively, set expectations, reinforce positive behavior, avoid power struggles, etc.)
- Prepare youth for their future by teaching independence skills
- Create a positive home environment through family fun time, taking care of self, family meetings, etc.
- Improve outcomes for youth served in therapeutic foster care settings
- Name: Maureen Murray, LCSW
- Agency/Affiliation: Duke University Medical Center
- Department: Services Effectiveness Research Program
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (919) 687-4686 x302
- Fax: (919) 687-4737
Date Research Evidence Last Reviewed by CEBC: April 2015
Date Program Content Last Reviewed by Program Staff: May 2014
Date Program Originally Loaded onto CEBC: April 2011