Structured Decision Making (SDM)
There are pre-implementation materials to measure organizational or provider readiness for Structured Decision Making (SDM) as listed below:
An organization is helped to fully understand the implications and process for adopting SDM. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Understanding the objectives the organization wishes to achieve
- Assisting in developing a logic model for the project
- Reviewing the elements (i.e., implementation drivers) needed for success
- Contributing to an informed decision on whether the organization is ready, and if not, what would help to prepare PowerPoint presentations are used in conversations with jurisdictions who are considering SDM, and throughout implementation to explain and continuously revisit implementation drivers.
Formal Support for Implementation
There is formal support available for implementation of Structured Decision Making (SDM) as listed below:
The program offers assistance to a jurisdiction interested in implementing SDM from pre-implementation through sustainability. Assistance with the following implementation related-issues can be provided:
- Change management
- Policy and procedure integration
- Implementation planning
- Helping to build organizational culture and climate that supports learning
- Developing internal capacity for training and coaching
- Data collection
- Automation consultation
- Quality improvement
There are fidelity measures for Structured Decision Making (SDM) as listed below:
Specific fidelity measures fall into these groups:
- Completion rates
- Accuracy of completion
- Alignment of actions taken with actions recommended
- Case reading
- IRR testing
- Surveys, focus groups, interviews, and/or observations with staff using SDM
Please note that SDM is typically taught within a family-centered, strengths-based, and safety-focused practice framework. Fidelity of these practice skills should also be evaluated, though this is not specifically part of SDM.
Implementation Guides or Manuals
There are implementation guides or manuals for Structured Decision Making (SDM) as listed below:
The implementation plan is customized for each site. Using the implementation drivers, combined with steps needed to customize the jurisdiction's SDM assessments and policies, a plan is customized to identify actions needed throughout pre-implementation, implementation and sustainability phases.
Research on How to Implement the Program
Research has not been conducted on how to implement Structured Decision Making (SDM).