Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY)
There are pre-implementation materials to measure organizational or provider readiness for Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY) as listed below:
A Start-Up Manual is provided to potential programs, which includes implementation guidelines, programmatic considerations and budgetary suggestions. Programs submit a comprehensive application before being approved. A welcome kit is provided to all new programs and available by request from Donna Kirkwood at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Formal Support for Implementation
There is formal support available for implementation of Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY) as listed below:
New program coordinators attend preservice training for one week. In addition, a national conference is held every other year. Formal coaching and technical assistance is provided for new programs to the first 3 years of implementation. During the third year (and every other year after that), an accreditation visit occurs.
There are fidelity measures for Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY) as listed below:
The HIPPY Excellence: Model, Guidance, and Accreditation manual describes the elements of a quality HIPPY program, clarifies the program assessment process and establishes the criteria for accreditation. The HIPPY USA Accreditation Worksheet is included in this manual and services as a fidelity checklist. This manual is available by request from Donna Kirkwood at email@example.com.
Implementation Guides or Manuals
There are implementation guides or manuals for Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY) as listed below:
The Welcome Kit provides implementation guidance and includes the following items:
- Keys to Sustainability: The HIPPY USA Advocacy Toolkit - This manual provides guidance on how to reach out to elected officials, community leaders, and the media to help ensure program sustainability. The toolkit covers the basics of the legislative process, including details about public policy, and it includes sections on working with key leaders and the media in your community. The kit also explains the process of hosting a visit to your program site, and gives you ideas about how to share your success stories with the public.
- Educational Materials:
- Resource Library Guide/ Science and Young Children: A Win-Win Combination
- 2006 Enrichment Activity Book - These supplemental activities contain guidance and/or activities to provide to children who want or need more skill development.
- HIPPY and Early Childhood Education Goals - This document details how HIPPY matches the most common early childhood educational goals established by the state.
- HIPPY USA DVD 2007: This can be used to introduce agency staff, advisory committee members, funders, etc. to HIPPY
- HIPPY USA ETO Database Materials: Efforts to Outcomes (ETO) is a web-based data collection system that also allows qualitative as well as quantitative report. This kit includes several instructional documents about ETO, however basic training on how to use ETO will also be provided to the coordinator and home visitors through the national office:
- ETO User’s Guide
- Paper Forms - Application and reporting forms (both explained in-depth within ETO User’s Guide beginning on page 7).
- ETO References for using the database - Includes ETO frequently asked questions, instructions for how to review and edit your work on the database, and a list of HIPPY ETO terms, and how to locate documents within the database.
- HIPPY USA Excellence Manuals - This series of three manuals (enclosed in binder) provide guidance on how to establish, implement and maintain high quality programming as well as in training for new staff. Your assigned national trainer will review and utilize the manuals during your first visits.
- HIPPY USA Map - Shows the number of HIPPY sites and where they are located.
- HIPPY USA Material Order Form - This form explains how to order curriculum materials.
- HIPPY USA Staff Phone List
- Inspirational Materials Packet - This compilation of materials can be used to motivate staff and/or parents – especially useful to start or end meetings.
The welcome kit is available by request from Donna Kirkwood at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research on How to Implement the Program
Research has not been conducted on how to implement Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY).