Love and Logic
About This Program
Target Population: Parents, grandparents, teachers, and other caretakers working with children
For parents/caregivers of children ages: 0 – 18
The Love and Logic Institute, Inc., developed training materials designed to teach educators and parents how to experience less stress while helping young people learn the skills required for success in today's world. This approach is called Love and Logic and is based on the following two assumptions:
- That children learn the best lessons when they're given a task and allowed to make their own choices (and fail) when the cost of failure is still small; and
- That the children's failures must be coupled with love and empathy from their parents and teachers.
This model has been used by parents and teachers and has been applied to a wide range of situations.
The overall goal of Love and Logic is:
- Help parents avoid negative interactions with their children that lead to neglect and abuse
The program representative did not provide information about a Logic Model for Love and Logic.
The essential components of Love and Logic include:
- All of the Love and Logic programs are based on the following four principles, which are designed to enhance the relationship between the adult and the child:
- Build the Self-Concept: Help children feel good about themselves.
- Share the Control: Give children choices that do not cause problems for others.
- Provide the Empathy: Provide a strong dose of empathy before delivering consequences.
- Share the Thinking: Allow the child to think and solve their own problems.
- Parents and teachers are taught new skills in a group setting to deal with the children in a calmer way:
- Adults set limits without anger, lectures, threats or repeated warnings and instead use enforceable statements.
- When children cause problems, adults hand these problems back in loving ways by replacing anger and lectures with a strong dose of empathy.
- Parents, teachers, or other caregivers are required to purchase of at least one of the core programs:
- 9 Essential Skills for the Love and Logic Classroom
- Parenting the Love and Logic Way
- Love and Logic Early Childhood Parenting Made Fun
Love and Logic directly provides services to parents/caregivers and addresses the following:
- Anger in response to their child's behavior
Parents, grandparents, and/or teachers attend a voluntary one-day seminar, or 3-day, 5-day, or 6-day conference to help them learn the techniques.
1 day to 6 days depending on length of training they choose to attend
This program is typically conducted in a(n):
- Community Daily Living Setting
- Community-based Agency / Organization / Provider
- School Setting (Including: Day Care, Day Treatment Programs, etc.)
This program does not include a homework component.
Love and Logic has materials available in a language other than English:
For information on which materials are available in this language, please check on the program's website or contact the program representative (contact information is listed at the bottom of this page).
Resources Needed to Run Program
The typical resources for implementing the program are:
- One instructor
- TV monitor or projector compatible with laptop
- DVD player or laptop with USB port
- Space large enough to hold the number of participants
Manuals and Training
Prerequisite/Minimum Provider Qualifications
There are no minimum qualifications for parents or teachers who implement this program, aside from reading one of the core programs.
There is a manual that describes how to deliver this program.
There is training available for this program.
- Tim Cole
phone: (800) 338-4065
Number of days/hours:
3-6 days, all day workshops
Relevant Published, Peer-Reviewed Research
Currently, there are no published, peer-reviewed research studies for Love and Logic.
Fay, C. (2005). Effects of the Becoming a Love and Logic Parent training program on parents' perceptions of their children's behavior and their own parental competence: A preliminary investigation. Retrieved from https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.546.6824&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Tim Cole
- Agency/Affiliation: Love and Logic Institute, Inc.
- Website: www.loveandlogic.com
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (800) 338-4065
- Fax: (800) 455-7557
Date Research Evidence Last Reviewed by CEBC: June 2014
Date Program Content Last Reviewed by Program Staff: October 2017
Date Program Originally Loaded onto CEBC: December 2007