What’s Good About Anger? 6-16 Week Anger Management Group
About This Program
Target Population: Adults dealing with anger mismanagement issues; court or employer-ordered and self-referrals; program has also been used with adolescents and couples dealing with anger
The What’s Good About Anger? program offers groups and programs for individuals who are personally motivated to learn skills for controlling anger or who are mandated by employers, courts, schools or other institutions to complete anger management treatment and programs. The What’s Good About Anger? program is based on the What’s Good About Anger? expanded 16-lesson book/workbooks for adults, teens, and couples.
The goals for What’s Good About Anger? are:
- Learn that anger is a force which can be transformed into healthy strategies and thinking
- Identify triggers for anger and physiological arousal
- Reduce levels of anger in provocative situations
- Gain effective coping strategies in order to halt escalation, problem-solve, and resolve conflicts
- Reduce anger arousal
- Learn how to use behavioral strategies such as time-out, assertiveness, empathy, problem-solving, and forgiveness
- Learn stress management & relaxation techniques
- Learn cognitive restructuring
The program representative did not provide information about a Logic Model for What’s Good About Anger? 6-16 Week Anger Management Group.
The essential components of the What’s Good About Anger? program include:
- Offering an individual or group (with 5 to 12 participants per group) intervention
- Providing anger management assessment and evaluation of individuals
- Teaching, motivating and educating individuals & groups regarding the following:
- Effective anger & conflict control strategies:
- Problem-solving skills
- Learning how to defuse anger and hostility
What’s Good About Anger? 6-16 Week Anger Management Group directly provides services to adults (regardless of whether they are parents or caregivers) and addresses the following:
- Anger mismanagement issues such as: aggression, abuse, control, volatile anger, yelling, withholding, manipulation, passivity, demanding, and control and abuse issues
Services Involve Family/Support Structures:
This program involves the family or other support systems in the individual's treatment: Individual, marriage, and family counseling and treatment are available with professional counselors and psychologist. Psychological evaluation and testing is available.
Weekly 1-1.5 hour a week sessions
This program is typically conducted in a(n):
- Outpatient Clinic
What’s Good About Anger? 6-16 Week Anger Management Group includes a homework component:
Weekly assignments from What’s Good About Anger? book and workbook. Weekly logging of anger and completion of progress reports.
What’s Good About Anger? 6-16 Week Anger Management Group has materials available in a language other than English:
For information on which materials are available in this language, please check on the program's website or contact the program representative (contact information is listed at the bottom of this page).
Resources Needed to Run Program
The typical resources for implementing the program are:
- Group room for 5-12 participants
- DVD player and projector for Power Point slides, recommended but not required
Manuals and Training
Prerequisite/Minimum Provider Qualifications
Licensure as mental health professional desirable; minimum of Bachelor’s degree, plus certification as Anger Management Trainer-Specialist through training programs
There is a manual that describes how to deliver this program.
There is training available for this program.
- Lynette J. Hoy, NCC, LCPC, CAMS-IV
phone: (630) 368-1880 x1 or (708) 341-5438
Anger Management Trainer-Specialist 2-day Certification workshops or DVD (home-study) training
Number of days/hours:
2 days for the live workshop and 12 hours for the DVD home-study
There currently are additional qualified resources for training:
Relevant Published, Peer-Reviewed Research
Currently, there are no published, peer-reviewed research studies for What’s Good About Anger? 6-16 Week Anger Management Group.
No reference materials are currently available for What’s Good About Anger? 6-16 Week Anger Management Group.
Date Research Evidence Last Reviewed by CEBC: June 2015
Date Program Content Last Reviewed by Program Staff: March 2020
Date Program Originally Loaded onto CEBC: May 2011